|This article is about the television series character. You may be looking for the film character, "Summer Hathaway (film).|
|“||I'm tired of being defined by this one-way relationship!||”|
She is portrayed by Jade Pettyjohn.
Not satisfied with playing tambourine in the band, she ultimately becomes the manager when she realizes she can use her organizational skills to help out the band. Summer had a crush on Freddy until Total Eclipse of the Heart. In the Season 3 premiere, Hold on Loosely, Summer learned how to play the drums in a few lessons by Mr. Finn (since the band was supposed to be losing their drummer) and sounded excellent.
An overachiever with perfect attendance, schoolwork and organization come easy to Summer. She's one for helping people out and putting others before herself, like McKenna Daugherty in her favorite book "Terminal Heart". That’s why she makes a great band manager! Always prepared for every possible scenario, Summer relies on her best friend Tomika to keep her grounded. She is very headstrong and creative when it comes to the band and her friends crazy ideas. Thanks to the band, she’s finally learning to take some risks in the name of rock!
Main Article: Freddy and Summer
In Come Together, it is shown that Summer has a major crush on Freddy when she tells Tomika that she was impressed with his skateboarding skills. Throughout the series, Summer has dropped major hints to the others (mainly towards Freddy) around her that she likes him, from setting up situations where he would work and be with her to saying so out loud (We're Not Gonna Take It). However, Tomika and Mr. Finn are the only ones who know about how she feels. This continues until the Season 2 episode Total Eclipse of the Heart, where Freddy and Kale break up. He finds out that they don't have much in common and begins to realize he really likes Summer after talking with her before breaking up with Kale. At this point, Summer has gotten over him and was over him when they talked. Freddy goes back to the roof to tell Summer he really likes her, but finds that Summer is on the roof with Asher and he witnesses Asher give Summer his jacket to warm her up. As a result, Freddy leaves the roof heartbroken and jealous and this builds a love triangle between Freddy, Summer, and Asher for Season 3. In Hold on Loosely, as Freddy was leaving, he went up to Summer and tried to tell her that she was an amazing girl, but was too nervous and said she was an amazing drummer. In The Other Side of Summer, when Summer panicks about having her first bad grade, Freddy tells Summer that she is more than a test, and everyone says she is a wonderful, smart, and beautiful girl who everybody wants to date. Revealing that he would want to date Summer. When everybody looks at him, he hides how he wants to date Summer by saying that at least that's what everybody says. When Summer keeps panicking he gets very concerned. When Summer to being bad changes Freddy is shocked and worried. Summer calls him stud and Freddy says he likes the new Summer. In Kool Thing, Freddy told Summer how he felt, but she thought that he was talking about Penny, another girl that goes to their school. While they were waiting in line for the Hey Violet concert, Summer got cold and Freddy put his jacket around her arms. In Surprise, Surprise, Freddy tells Summer how he feels. However in We Gotta Get Outta This Place, they choose to remain friends. In Photograph, Summer and Freddy both confess their feelings towards each other and they begin dating until I Love Rock and Roll: Part 2; in which they break up for the band.
Main Article: Summer and Tomika
Summer and Tomika are best friends and have been for the longest time. They are usually very open with each other and while they do keep some secrets and argue from time to time, they are always there for each other and support each other. Tomika helps Summer deals with her feelings for Freddy while Summer helps Tomika fit in and feel more comfortable as the band's singer.
Good Friend/(Fake) Ex-Boyfriend
Main article: Summer and Zack
Zack and Summer are friends, but in The Story of Us (But More About Me), Summer asks Zack to be her boyfriend to help her write a breakup song like Taylor Swift. Zack declines before his brother, Ashton, likes the fact Zack has a girlfriend. In order to avoid being teased, Zack agrees to be Summer's boyfriend until she dumps him half an hour later. They are placed together again in Wouldn't It Be Nice?, where Zack gets the note Summer wrote that was meant for Freddy about sharing her locker. Since then, they have a strong friendship.
Main Article: Summer and Asher
Summer and Asher both attend William B. Travis Prep School as students and work together on the school's Student Council. They were first seen together in Brilliant Disguise, interacting during a student council meeting for the fall dance. In Total Eclipse of the Heart, Summer and Asher both attended the lock-in. At the end of the episode, the two share a moment on the roof that included an intimate conversation and Asher giving Summer his jacket when she was cold. After this episode, it is implied and later shown that they have an attraction towards each other.
- Summer is the show's adaption of Miranda Cosgrove’s character in the original 2003 movie.
- Even though Summer can't sing, Jade Pettyjohn, her portrayer, is a great singer, like Miranda Cosgrove is.
- However, due to Mr. Finn hypnotizing her, she is an excellent singer under the trigger word of "persimmon". While Principal Mullins was fixed from her hypnosis, Summer was not shown or stated to be. From then on, she provides backup vocals to Tomika's singing.
- Summer is tone deaf; as seen in many Season 1 episodes.
- Summer can play four instruments: flute (she can be seen playing flutes in Come Together and (Really Really) Old Time Rock and Roll), tambourine, drums (Hold on Loosely), and guitar (Minimum Wage).
- Her last name could be a reference to Breanna Yde, the portrayer of Tomika, as she played as Frankie Hathaway in The Haunted Hathaways. However, this is highly unlikely as her last name was already Hathaway is the original 2003 movie.
- Summer has many posters in her room. Two being of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge and one of Prince William, in her room. She also has posters of Taylor Swift.
- She wrote the song, "Let Me In”, without knowing it.
- In the movie, Summer showed no signs of having a crush on Freddy. In the TV version, she does/used to have a crush on him.
- In A Band With No Name, Summer states that she keeps a batch of cupcakes in her locker and refreshes the batch every week in the hope that it'll come in handy.
- Her favorite book is "Terminal Heart".
- Just like her movie counterpart, Summer is the band manager.
- She can play the drums due to lessons from Mr. Finn (Hold on Loosely).
- She also knows how to play the guitar after Mr. Finn taught her (Minimum Wage).
- She once tried to marry Tomika's bird (I Put a Spell on You).
- She was a competitior in the "Little Miss Hill Country Pageant" and used clodeling as her talent.
- Along with Tomika, she enjoys the show Future Superstars.
- She had her first day of detention in The Other Side of Summer; after dumping a smoothie on Vice Principal Sternhagen, which was the episode that she became rebellious.
- She loves fro-yo (frozen yogurt).
- Her mother is allergic to dogs (Puppy Love).
- She is an only child.
- She is a fan of Taylor Swift.
- It was revealed in Surprise, Surprise that Summer’s middle name is Breeze.
- In the episode, We Gotta Get Outta This Place, they mutually agree just to be friends. However, she and Freddy reveal their feelings for each other in the episode, Photograph.
- She is known to like glitter.
- Her first boyfriend was Freddy.
|School of Rock Characters|
|Tomika • Freddy Huerta • Summer Hathaway • Zack Kwan • Lawrence Dooley • Dewey Finn • Principal Mullins|
|Clark O'Shannon • Esmeralda • Kale • Asher|